The Commonwealth Comment

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rumsfeld Packs


Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced his resignation today, just one day after the Democrats took control of the United States House of Representatives and are a mere one seat away from taking over the Senate as well. Democrats have been calling for Rumsfeld' resignation for several months now because of the current situation in Iraq.

President Bush and Donald Rumsfeld began discussing the possibility of him stepping down in the days leading up to the mid-term elections. Rumsfeld took over the position of Secretary of Defense since Bush took office in 2001. He is Bush's longest serving cabinet member. According to CNN, he also served as defense secretary under President Ford from 1975-1977.

President Bush has aknowleged the public's anger with the GOP. "I recognize that many Americans voted last night to register their displeasure with the lack of progress being made," Bush said in reference to Iraq. "Don Rumsfeld has been a superb leader during a time of change. Yet he also appreciates the value of bringing in a fresh perspective during a critical period in this war."

President Bush today introduced his nominee to replace Rumsfeld. Robert Gates is the current president of Texas A&M and former CIA Chief. He has served under six presidents of both parties. Serving under George W. Bush will make it seven. Gates said he accepted Bush's nomination because "...The United States is at war." Upon his introduction he stated that "I believe the outcome of these conflicts will shape our world for decades to come." He will await confirmation from the Senate.



My Opinion: I feel as though my feeling would be expressed in song.

"There's a sad sort of clanging From the clock in the hall, and the bells in the steeple too. And up in the nurs'ry an absurd little bird's popping out to say "coocoo". Regretfully they tell us,But firmly they compel us To say goodbye to you. So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehn, good night,I hate to go and leave this pretty sight. So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehn, adieu, Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu. So long, farewell, Au'voir, auf wiedersehn, I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehn, goodbye,I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye, Goodbye! I'm glad to go,I cannot tell a lie. I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly. The sun has gone to bed and so must I So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, Goodbye! "

2 Comments:

  • Interesting timing on Rumsfeld's part. Any idea why he picked the day after elections to resign?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:45 AM  

  • I'm not really sure. It could've been that the White House was expecting to lose the congress. They were planning his resignation before the elections. I feel that Rob Gates is a good choice. Mainly because he has served multiple Presidents from both parties.

    By Blogger James O'Leary, At 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home