The Commonwealth Comment

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Thank You


Disclaimer: This post is all opinion.

Thank you. It is a a simple phrase that takes only a second to say, but to someone who has served or is serving in the U.S. Armed Forces it means a lot. So on this Veterans Day I ask you all to thank a service member either retired or active. A simple "Thank you" will make their day.

The bravery of our service men and women is something to admire. They volunteer to stand on the front lines defending the United States. Their courage and service is extremely admirable, and something every citizen should be grateful for.

Here’s a little background on Veterans Day. It marks the end of World War I in 1918. It is known as Armistice Day in Great Britain.

My family's military history is pretty extensive and interesting. The most recent member of the military is my cousin, Megan's husband Jeff Hassel, a member of the Marine Corps who has served in Iraq. My great uncle, Commander John Morris, served the U.S. Navy in World War II. My grandfather, Chief Petty Officer Charles O'Leary, served the U.S. Navy in World Was II. On my mother's side of the family I have an ancestor that served in the War of 1812, his name escapes me now. Also on the Macomber side of the family is Colonel John Hathaway, an officer in the American Revolution.

Each of these people lived decades, some centuries apart, but they all had the common desire and bravery of serving in the United States Military.

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home